Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship
The Texas 4-H Foundation awards over 2 million dollars in scholarships annually on behalf of their donors. The Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship has four types of scholarships:
- Baccalaureate are awarded to 4-H members in their senior year who plan to pursue a four year degree.
- Vocational/Technical are awarded to 4-H members in their senior year who plan to pursue a licensed trade or vocation.
- Courageous Heart are awarded to members who have overcome an obstacle.
- Collegiate are awarded to 4-H alumni who are currently enrolled in a baccalaureate program.
High school seniors may only apply for one of the three types available to them. The Foundation, through the application process, match and award scholars to the respective donors. Applications are released on or around November 1 each year and are due on to the foundation on February 15. Lavaca County applicants should share or send a copy to 4-H Coordinator Natalie Knesek by January 30th for review and prior to submitting to the foundation.
To access the application go to https://texas4hfoundation.org/types-of-scholarships/
Lavaca County 4-H County Council Scholarship
The Lavaca County Council will award up to $6000 in scholarships to graduating members in the class of 2023.
GUIDELINES FOR AWARDING THE LAVACA COUNTY 4-H COUNCIL SCHOLARSHIP
I. Minimum Criteria
The Lavaca County 4-H Council Scholarship is an award to recognize outstanding accomplishments and leadership of 4-H’ers graduating from high school and pursuing further education. The following criteria are recommended as minimum only. Any 4-H member not meeting these criteria would not be considered for the award.
MEMBERS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERVIEW IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE AWARD. THE INTERVIEW DATE WILL BE PUBLICIZED IN THE 4-H NEWSLETTER. THOSE WHO CANNOT BE THERE ON THE DESIGNATED DATE SHOULD CONTACT THE EXTENSION OFFICE PRIOR TO THE INTERVIEW DATE TO HAVE YOUR INTERVIEW VIDEO TAPED.
ALL THOSE WHO INTERVIEW MUST ATTEND THE BANQUET IN ORDER TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE AWARD.
Criteria for Selection
1. The 4-H member must have completed their Senior year in High School. If there are no eligible members in this classification, then no scholarship will be awarded.
2. The 4-H member must have completed at least three (3) years in 4-H including the current year.
3. The Lavaca County 4-H Council Scholarship will be presented to the most deserving young person, without regard to sex.
4. The 4-H member must submit an awards program record book for at least two consecutive years including this year to be considered for Lavaca County 4-H Council Scholarship.
5. Member must attend at least half of the club meetings for the year in which you are applying for the award.
6. Projects and Activities:
DURING HIS OR HER YEARS IN 4-H, THE 4-H MEMBER MUST HAVE:
A. Completed projects in three (3) different project areas.
B. Participated in one or more activities in at least three (3) of the following areas:
– Method Demonstration/4-H Presentations
– Project Exhibits
– Leadership Lab
– Citizenship Activities
– Public Relations (for example: demonstrations, speeches, poster displays, club exhibits, project shows, radio, TV, newspapers, special projects)
NOTE: It is not expected that the above requirements for projects and activities all be completed in the current year. They may have been accomplished over the last four (4) years that the 4-H’er has been in the program.
7. DURING HIS OR HER YEARS IN 4-H, the 4-H member must have exhibited leadership skills in both of the following areas:
A. Must have served on a committee at some level of 4-H organization (club or county).
B. Must have conducted a demonstration in an activity or project with, or under the supervision of, an adult volunteer
8. Community Service: The 4-H member must have participated in two or more community service activities. For example:
A. Working or counseling with other junior 4-H members.
B. Community service projects, either individual, group or club-type projects.
C. Must have motivated other 4-H members through participation in demonstrations, projects and/or exhibits.
9. A 4-H member must have worked at a county-wide fund raiser two of the last three years. (Currently the 4-H BBQ. BBQ work includes selling tickets, gathering wood, preparations the day before, or serving food)-exception for 2020
10. Applicants must have a minimum of an AB grade average to be considered.
11. Scholarship amounts are subject to change on an annual basis based on availability of funds
Click here for the application:
Word Version: 2023 Awards Application
Adobe Version: 2023 Awards Application
Extension Education Association Scholarship
Click here to access the application: EEA scholarship
There will be one $500 scholarship and one $400 scholarship presented. Additional scholarships may be awarded as funds
★ Applicants must be an active Lavaca 4-H Club member or the child or grandchild of a Lavaca Extension
Education Club Member.
★ Must be a Senior at any high school in Lavaca County.
★ Must plan to attend an accredited college or trade school of his/her choice during the following year.
★ Must submit a complete and correct Lavaca County EEA Scholarship Application.
Applications are due on March 1 to the Extension Office or to the school counselor.
Contact the Extension Office for information on the Area Go Texan Scholarship Opportunities.